Tuesday 11 January 2011

1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of film openings)

For my film opening, my aim was to successfully create an attention grabbing introduction to a fictional film. To do this, I knew I had to create something original and different and I had to think outside of the box / be innovative.
Within the film opening, I tried to use a variety of editing techniques and tools in order to create the right effect of film opening I was aiming for.
I have chosen 12 distinct frames to give some representations of my film opening, showing the main shots used within the sequence.

The title of the film:
For my film title, I tried to think of a name that would be suitable for my 'thriller' genre. I knew that I needed the title to make an impact to the viewer and suit the storyline/genre of the film.
The twelfth / final frame, out of the twelve key frames, shows the title of my opening sequence, 'Assassination'. I would say that this particular title displays a traditional / typical example of the thriller genre as it has a plain but classic white on black title to keep to the styling of the genre.
The font itself is known as 'Handwriting' which has been coloured in white upon a plain black background. I selected this particular font because from the wide range of fonts I was able to use, none of them gave me the same feel as this particular one and had a particular look and feel about it that would portray a thriller film.. I thought the 'Handwriting' font gave it a more personal feel, as if the character himself wrote it - 'Leaving his mark'.

Examples such as 'The Godfather' and 'Inception' also include the use of a white font upon a black background, which also put across a feel to the viewer to be prepared for a thriller, action or other serious genred films. The effect of white font upon a black background makes a very dark and blunt statement to the viewer and can put across a range of feelings for them, depending on how the title is used.
I believe that the title in my film opening portrays the genre effectivley because it is a 'handwritten' simplistic and dark title - which is what is usually found in most thriller films.

Setting/location:
For my film opening, Once I knew that I had decided on the theme of a 'thriller' - I had to ensure that my setting / location of the film opening had to reflect that theme. For this, I decided to film in an area with plenty of pathways and alley ways in the night time so that it would put across the intended theme. I would say that my choice of setting is a typical choice of a thriller opening - having a dark, mysterious and questionable choice of setting.
The fifth frame shows and example of the types of settings I have used, the metal framework that the character walks through, puts across the sense that the viewer is watching/following his journey to were he's trying to get to - that also creates a sense of suspence to the viewer. I would say that this is a typical type of setting/location that would be included in a thriller film, since it involves a mixture of the light and the shadows from the framework in the night and the silhouette of the character walking under it, as well as the consideration I put into the framing of the shot (making it look chilling and show the wall light/frame work)
Costumes and props:
For the costumes and props, I made sure the appropriate clothing and handheld objects were in relation to the genre of the film opening. For my actors, I ensure that the male actor had a black suit, white shirt and black tie so that he could look more like a 'professional' / 'white collar' assassin, but I also ensured that there was a black hoody used to hide the clothing/suit underneath so that it can be kept hidden until he reveals himself at the end of the film opening. I used these because I thought it is a typical type of costume to be used in a thriller/gang film, such as 'Reservoir Dogs'.
My second character (the female) was set out to wear a formal suit as well. For this, I made sure that she wore a classic black suit and some high heels to add to her image / superiority of herself.
Props that I had used within my film opening includes a phone, watch and a gun, which are found to be typical props found in films of thriller genres, because the phone is a form of necessary means of communication and displaying that he has been sent out to assassinate someone for someone else, the watch represents time and the gun obviously shows that an event is going to happen in terms of the use of that gun.
For example, The eighth frame in the 12 picture sequence is a 'close up shot' of the phone that shows the text, to give the viewer a better insight to what is happening. I think this particular frame prop is a good example of a thriller convention since the characters phone provides a key piece of information which lets the viewer have an insight to what the character is looking at - which is found in many most film openings (thrillers).
Camerawork and editing:
Throughout the filming and editing process, I had kept in mind my aim - to make sure I put across the theme of the film opening to the viewer, without them having to try to hard to work it out/guess.
I used a range of camera work (camera angles and shots) to portray the thriller genre. To do this, I used alot of quick cuts/speedy motion shots to excite the viewer and make their heart race - the kinds of reactions you would want out of a viewer who is watching the film opening. An example of this is found at the beguinning of my film sequence and towards the end when the clips are split up and cut, to show characters heart is racing and when he has a flashback.
I used a variety of editing in my film such as short cuts, speeding up film footage and including many effects such as the solarized effect, black and white, lighting and contrast, strobe light and fading effects to ensure make sure I included parts that would excite the viewer.
For example, In the sixth frame, I used a solarized effect on the wall lighting to make it as if the light is running/bleeding down the wall as it reaches the character walking. I would say that this is a typical convention used in a thriller genre because it has a use of both the light, dark and shadows and a strange/swift use of camera movement/angles.
In the third frame I used is both a passing shot/point of view shot as the character is looking up at the trees aboce him whilst walking through the night. I thought this would a good use of camera work to show what is above/surrounding the character at the time and to create a chilling feel for the viewer, because he isn't looking forward, and anything can happen! In the seventh frame, I used a point of view shot to show the hidden characters point of view of the character walking. I think this particular frame/sequence convey the thriller conventions well since this particular shot involves a quick movement/cut. 
A good example of a similar short cut, suspense raising film opening / trailer is a recent film release called '127 hours', which has a fast past cut sequence which had inspired me to create an impact to the viewer using a similar technique.

Title font and style:
The font and style of my titles is called 'Abadi MT Condensed light' which is a simple font that I had selected because I wanted it to be simplistic and stay in theme with the genre, and to put across a unsuspecting feel to the viewer. I also used it because in many thriller films, they use the same style and colour for the font because it doesn't give anything away and puts forwar a certain feel/atmosphere to the film opening.
For example, the seventh frame gives an example of the font I had used in the sequence. I used the colour white so it can stand out from the darkness of the footage, but to also represent 'clarity' and 'curiosity' for the viewer, because it is a blank colour.
As I said in the 'title of the film' write up, I have linked to examples that have used the same plain style font, white on black style - to keep to the styling of the film.

Story and how the opening sets it up:
The way I started the opening to my film, and how I set up the story-line, is by instantly revealing a bright street light with the effect of the zooming in and its glow. I did this so it can be a symbol within the film and perhaps present the unexpectations within it. As you can see in the first frame, it shows the street light, which is the starting point of my film opening. In frame two, it shows the introduction of the character, as he steps upon the ground where the camera is settled. I thought was a good way of setting up the opening because the footstep is in time with the beat to create an impact and so that the viewer can have a general idea on what is going to happen further on in the film.

Genre and how the opening suggests it:
My opening is quite sudden and shows the footage of a light straight away which gives the viewer the impression that it is a dark / mysterious film genre, since you can see that it is filmed in the night and the only source of light is coming from the street light. Also, because of the quick/swift movements of the zooming motion going back and forth, puts across that its going to be a supernatural film.
I would say that this is what would be said to be a typical opening to a film, because of the camera movements and editing - the in and out zooming of the camera to show the light and to be in time to the music - as if it represents respiration of someone and creates an impact.

How characters are introduced:
For the opening title sequence, I knew that I had to make sure that the introuction of the characters was key. To do this, I introduced my main character in a unidentifiable way - showing his feet walking past the camera (a low, close up shot) / along the ground and making a 'stomp' in time with the music; to make the viewer feel tense and shocked. I think this frame is a typical representation of a thriller, as it has a unique styling in terms of the effects and camera angles used - such as most film openings being started off by the introduction of a persons foot in the frame.
I also used a technique of having the camera tilt up from the point of view shot (character lying on the ground) on both characters within my film, to create a sense of suspense for the viewer and to show their identity slowly, making the character standing seem superior, but make the other character giving the point of view shot, look vulnerable. (found in frames nine and eleven)

Special effects:
Many films use special effects, especially sci-fi and action films. In my film opening, I didnt use many 'special' effects within my opening film sequence, such as 'green screen' but I have used the basic effects to alter my film footage, which are found on 'Premiere Pro' such as Solarize, Black and white, strobe light, blur...etc.
An example of an effect I have used can be found in the tenth frame of the 12 picture sequence, which shows a greyscale effect added to the film to show / symbolise the 'flashback' / 'rewind' within the film. I used this particular effect so that it can reflect the style of the thriller genre. I would say that this represents a typical use of a thriller convention found in some thriller films. Another example can be found in my fourth frame. For this frame I showed the character walking away from the camera and put focus on the light itself by going back to the symbol of the lights (fading from the natural colouring of the shot to a solarized style) - which I think represents the thriller genre well as it is a dark/chilling effect.

When filming, I had found that alot of my shots required / relied on the street lights around the area I was filming in. I used the lights as a symbol within the film to represent 'life' / 'light' within the film.


Overall, I believe that many of the frames, shots and techniques that I have used within the film sequence portrays the genre of a thriller because I feel that I have included all of the main conventions, such as quick cuts/camera angle changes, music that gives tension, darkness/lighting/shadows and the genre/storyline that plays with your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment