Tuesday 11 January 2011

2) How does your media product represent particular social groups?

For my main character, I decided to go for a cool, slick and classic look by having my actor wear a suit, to make him look important and sophisticated.
I got this idea from many film examples, such as Resevoir Dogs, James Bond and other gang/action related films, but my main influence came from a music video 'John Mayer - Assassin'.
I created this particular character by making sure my actor wore a typical, black, classic suit with a white shirt and tie.
Similarities: Obviously, both characters are male - and both have the same job occupation - Assassin.
The characters are similiar in the sense that they are both out for one thing - to do their job of being paid to kill others by the instruction of others.
They are also similar in terms of the clothing they are wearing - both wearing a formal black suit with a white shirt and black tie.
The actors both have a dark toned hair colour which suits well with the outfit they are wearing and reflects their personality in terms of being dark and mysterious.
Differences: My character has a different talent and gift to the example of the characters I have seen.
Another difference is that the character on the left is wearing sunglasses to hide his eyes or his 'identity' wheras, my actor isn't because it's filmed in the night time and I didn't think it would look effective on my style of film opening - since wearing dark sunglasses has a 'men in black' style to it, and I wanted to have something different rather than a traditional style.
I wanted to create a instant opinion for the viewer of this character - to make him come across as knowlegable and professional, just by looking at the outfit he is wearing.

For my female actor/character, I created a typical 'strong/independant' and smart woman type character - who most women want to be and know/have that type of person someone that they can look up to.
I made sure that my female character wore a smart, black suit with high heels to create the image of this particular character style. I also considered the long, blonde haired type character to display a feminine woman to the viewer of the film.
I got the idea for both the 'suit' clothing idea and the character from many action / thriller related films, the main one being 'Mr and Mrs Smith'.
The character 'Mrs Smith' in the film behaves and seems like a normal woman, but has a highly secret and different job to what the average woman would have. 
Similarities: Obviously, both characters are female and both have a similar job occupation and represent strong, independent and smart women. Both of the characters have long blonde hair, which I think makes a statement that they are both women who 'let their hair down' and both have the job of being assassins/women undercover.
Another similarity is that they are both wearing black clothing, which is a typical thing to wear - as it blends in well in dark conditions and is the typical colour to wear when in a job that involves being a spy, secret agent, assassin...etc
Differences: The characters have one difference in terms of clothing - the character on the right is wearing less dark clothing than my character (on the left) which may highlight the fact that the character on the left isn't afraid to show more flesh and be more vulnerable in the sense that there is more visibility and attention on her / being more likely to get hurt by the defender.
There is also a difference in terms of the equipment they are both using - my character is armed with a small, hand gun. Whereas, the character on the right is armed with two larger pieces equipment in each hand!

The main costume/clothing that I had intended my actor to wear for the most of the film opening was a black hoody. I intended this clothing and look to represent a typical 'Hoodie' - a person who wears hoodies to hide their identity and look threatening.
I mainly used this to create suspence and curiosity of the characters identity, to make the viewer think that it's just a typical troublesome teenager walking through the streets - when in fact, it's an undercover assassin.
An example of a film which gave me this character style came from a film called 'Kidulthood'.
I would say this particular character style represents alot of young adults and people nowadays so when people / that particular social group go to watch it - they can relate to the character whos wearing the familiar style of clothing.
Similarities: Both characters are wearing a black hoody and dark clothing - which doesn't show their identity.
They also have both of their hands in their pockets - which is a typical thing to do when wearing a hoody for looking like they are normal, relaxed and keeping their head down.
In terms of posture, they both seem to have the 'slouching' teenager look to both of them and have a image about them that shows that they 'dont care' about anything or anyone - as if they are close off from the world within their item of clothing.
Differences: I can't find many differences with the two examples, apart from the fact one is in more of an urban/industrial setting (on the right) and the other (on the left) is walking along pathways surrounded by a woodland type of setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment