Tuesday 11 January 2011

7) Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Before the Main Task, I was set out to do a Preliminary task, which was based on learning and understanding three fundemental shots; 360 degree rule, shot reverse shot and match on action.
Throughout the preliminary, I focused on learning a bit more about the equipment I was using such as the camcorder, the tripod and the software I was using on the Apple iMac computer.
I found that it was useful that I was set out to do this task before the main, proper task - as it gave me a little more experience with the equipment and the types of things I had to do throughout the making and editing of my final film opening sequence.

180 degree rule:
The 180 degree rule is where two characters in the same scene should always have the same left/right relationship to each other. If the camera passes over the 'imaginary' axis creating a connection to the two subjects, is called crossing the line. The new shot, from the opposite side, is known as a reverse angle.
I didn't use the 360 degree rule within my final / main task because there wans't a need for it - as there was no dialogue within it.
Even though I didn't use it within my final task, I did try to consider it within my final film opening and I did find it useful to understand and learn about the shot previously; throughout my preliminary.
In my preliminary task I learnt how to do this by fixing the camera on a tripod and keeping it in one place, but rotating it to show the character speaking to the other from one side, and the other character responding back to the previous character who was talking. This enabled me to understand the process and how it is made this way to create an effective clip.

(Images from my Preliminary Task to represent my use of the 180 degree rule)

Match on Action:
A Match on Action shot is where two different shots are done to make the two shots graphically match, to help establish a strong continuity of action and linking the two shots together (metaphorically). In my preliminary task, I used the technique to show the process of walking through a room using a door, by showing the character begin to open the door with the handle from one side, and showing oth characters walking into the room from the other side.

 (Images representing the Match on Action shots from my Preliminary task)

 (Two examples of Match on Action shots used within my final task / film opening.)
The images above show some of the shots used in my final film opening whichenabled me to use the effect of a 'continuity edit'.
The first example was showing the characters feet walking along the pathway, to representing a point of view shot of him looking up at the light and the leaves above him, to showing him continuing walking down the long stretch of pathway.
I found this was effective in my film opening as it was good for showing those three shots representing to the viewer as if it is in one space of time and not separate shots in different times.
I also thought that the way of the filming and the Match on Action created a feel of suspence as the shots progressed and more of a flow to the film itself.

Shot Reverse Shot:
The shot Shot reverse shot is where one character is show lookin at another character and then the ohter character is shown looking back at the other character (the first). This is an effective film technique as it shows the to the viewer that the characters are facing one another.
I didn't use this particular technique within my final task because there wasn't many speaking parts or conversation which where this particular technique could be applied.
However, at the initial stages of thinking about what I wanted included in my film, I did think about how I could incorperate this technique to add more of a variety to the film itself.

(This is the two shots from the preliminary task that represent the Shot Reverse Shot technique.)

Following Shot:
From my preliminary task, I used a particular type of shot called a 'Following Shot' which is where the camera follows behind or along with a moving subject. In my preliminary, I used the following shot to show the process of the two characters having a conversation whilst walking up the stairs towards the doors.
I used this particular shot within a majority of my film opening (main task) because I wanted to follow the character and show to the viewer the types of areas he is walking in to build suspence.
I also found it a good technique to use for my particular style of film opening and from the preliminary task to my main task - I was already prepared for the types of things I needed to consider if I was looking for a clean following shot; by using a Tripod.


Zooming/Close-up:
In film 'Zooming' is known as being a camera movement which can zoomin in and out of the focused object; to either get closer or further away.
In my preliminary task, the zooming in technique of the dress was used to emphasise the character looking directly at the dress and foreshadowing what is going to happen. In my main task, I used this technique to zoom in and out of the street light from the characters point of view.
I would say that from my preliminary task, I have progressed towards my final task because in my preliminary task, I found that the zooming in of the object wasn't very steady - to achieve a more steady shot, I knew that if I were to use a Tripod or be alot more steady with the camera, I would be able to create a more smooth zoom into the object.

Throughout the making of my Final Project, I found I was being more creative with my shots and techniques and they didn't necessarily follow the same pattern as my preliminary task. The preliminary task was good for building up my confidence and my knowledge on whats possible, whats not possible, how things can be done, how things should be used ... etc which helped towards my final idea.
This includes different techniques that i included within my Final Film Opening, but wouldn't necessarily be found in my preliminary task.
For example, I used strange and free willed shots by spinning the camera around whilst pointing upwards looking at the leaves/trees above me to create more of a dizzy/confused look and style to the film opening - to reflect a sense of abnormality to the film.

I also used a variety of Low Angle and High Angle Shots, which I didn't use alot within my preliminary sequence - but this did encourage me to be more creative my including more low and high angle shots within my main task.

I also included the technique of Panning and Tilting within my main task. I had already experienced a tilt within my preliminary task when the characters are walking up the stairs. I used this technique alot in the beguinning of my main task/film opening sequence when my main character is walking along the pathways and through the streets.
(Examples of 'Tilt' used in both preliminary task and final task)
(Examples of 'Panning' used in both my preliminary task and final task)

Point of view shots:
Within my preliminary, I did include the use of a 'point of view' shot where the character looks at the dress, as well as in my final/main task I also used Point of View Shots where the character is looking at the lights, where the other character is looking at the victim from behind the trees and when the character looks at his watch and gun.
From my preliminary task, I was able to have a better understanding when using this shot for my main task, as I was able to think of better ideas for a point of view shot itself, such as moving it to hide behind the branches and trees to create more suspence to the viewer.

How I avoided issues and problems from happening in my Final task:
By looking back and reflecting on my work, I have seen that without having a preliminary task set for me, I would definitely of encountered the problems in my main task, rather than the preliminary.
Throughout my preliminary I did encounter problems and issues with filming that I wasn't prepared for, such as, the battery running low, using the tripod at the right/appropriate times, not understanding the functions/feautres of the camcorder properly, filming in a setting where our filming was constantly being interuppted by people walking through or being noisey in the background...etc!
With all of these problems that had happened whilst trying to film our preliminary task, I was able to consider what happened and how I could prevent it from happening in the future (for my main task)

Planning and problems:
When planning for my preliminary, I was finding it hard what exactly I was planning, such as the story line and how it can make sense to the viewer and run smoothly. Most of the time, I was focusing on the fact that I had to ensure that I included the three main shots, which I had to include (360 degree rule, match on action and shot/reverse shot). I also had to create a script for the actors to speak and revise - With this, I had to make sure it made sense and applied well with the storyline and shots. Finally, I had to think about how long each of the separate shots would last for so that I could have a rough idea on how and when I would get it done and think about the final result whilst editing.
With all of this, it ended up being a benefit. Because by going through all the problems and struggling through the work, it ended up being an advantage for planning for my main task.
When planning for my main task, I was alot more prepared and thought through my idea thoroughly and thought of ways I could avoid problems which I had previously encounted in my preliminary task (such as: where to film it - without having interupptions, when - in terms of what day, whether the weather was appropriate for filming, what - precautions I would have to take if something did happen...etc).
When it came to coming up with a story board for my Final Idea, I found it a struggle to think of a unique and interesting story line. I decided to have my film opening to be set on a 'Thriller' genre - because I was familiar with the types of films and what conventions are to be included within a thriller. I also found that because of my particular style and taste with things would apply well with this genre.
I also found the planning from my preliminary enabled me to plan for my planning!
The planning of this task enabled me to ensure that I wouldn't have any problems when filming for my main task. Even with this - I did have a few problems which I could not control.
I planned to film in the night time when it was just about to turn dark (but not entirely dark) but the problem was - that because it was around November time when I was filming, it went extremely dark all of a sudden, and I found that I was relying on the street lights to highlight parts of my film. Another problem was that it turned extremely cold. With this point, I was extremely worried about my actors comfort but I did make sure that I warned them before about the possible weather conditions and problems that could occur whilst filming. Because it was cold, I had provided them with extra warm clothing if needed and a flask of warm drink just in case they got thirsty. After filming, and when we were all pretty cold, tiered and hungry - I made sure that I provided them with prenty of food and warmth within my home.
Apart from these problems, the planning of my main task went alot better than the preliminary task because I was able to avoid plenty of disruptions from people passing by (since it was filmed at a particular time of night and in a particular area) and planned my time well so that my battery didn't run out. I also ensured that I charged the battery the night before filming so that I knew it would last a fairly long time.

The filming process:
With the experience I had gotten from my preliminary task, in terms of filming, I found I was alot more prepared and ready for the filming of my final task.~In the preliminary task, I had to work in a group of 4. It was a benefit in terms of getting feedback, giving ideas and thinking of factors which we had to remember whilst filming. However, it was difficult in terms everyone getting an equal go for filming and editing the footage.
I found working on my own was a struggle at times, but I enjoyed the fact that it was my own film and it was down to me to film it and edit it.
When filming, I found that I was really enjoying it and that it was going so well - because originally, I was prepared for the worst and if things were to go wrong but I found that everything went fairly well.
Before filming, I checked to see if the battery was fully charged and that the camcorder was fully functional, workng and ready to go.
Most of my filming was done by the help of the tripod which enabled me to keep steady shots when needed, but from time to time I was able to keep a steady shot free-hand.
Throughout the filming of my task, I found I was including ideas and shots that I hadn't thought of previously, because I found whilst I was actually filming - I had alot more ideas and inspiration in my head with the surroundings and the actors.
When out filming, I made sure I had more that one take of the shots I had planned out to do. This is so that I had more of a choice when it came down to selecting the best tak to put in my film.
I also had a variety of random shots which consisted of the actor and the surroundings. This is so that, if I needed a variation within my film or if my storyline was too short - I could simply place another piece of footage from the variety of choice I had backed up.
I was surprised at the amount of progress I had made in that short space of time, whilst filming my main task, to what I was like when filming my preliminary task

Editing:
I found editing very straightforward, quick and easy when using Adobe Premiere Pro. When filming my preliminary task - It was still the first few months of becoming familiar with software so I was still getting used to it and increasing my knowledge on the software, but because of the experience I had gotten from editing my preliminary task - editing for my final task was alot easier!
The major difference with my preliminary task with my final task, was the editing I did.
In my preliminary I did use the subtle editing techniques, such as brightness and contrast and editing the sound, However - I used a much wider range within my final task.
Whilst editing my final task, I found I was experimenting alot with the various effects I had on offer (such as solarize, black and white...etc) so that I could enhance the film footage and make it apply alot more the the genre and style of my film (a thriller).
This wasn't a disadvantage to me at all! But I found that my time was being consumed alot due to the fact I wasn't overly familiar with the effects and options available. I did come to grips with them eventually, but I wish there was a way that using a few effects within my preliminary task was incorperated.

Overall:
To conclude, I feel that I have made extremely good progress from mypreliminary task to my final / main task.
I am pleased with the result of my final film opening and never thought I could achieve something like it. I did go out of my comfort zone in terms of the storyline and the effects I used - but I hope it has ended up being a benefit and stands out to other.
I found I learnt alot more in terms of the media/movie industry, the equipment I have used (such as the camcorder, tripod, computer...etc) and the software I have used to construct, create and edit my film to get it to where it is.
From this project, I have lernt alot about media in terms of the entire filming process, editing, programmes, the industry, being a director and being in charge of the camera, using equipment correctly to get good results and so much more!
I feel that that from the very beguinning stages of learning about Film, I have come so far and I feel that I can go even further in terms of filming and getting better with filming in general as time goes on.
I do feel that if I were to have more time spent on working on the film, I would probably go over a few things and make it better in terms of the quality of the clips, the flow of the film and its style.

No comments:

Post a Comment